skip to main content

How Changes in Canadian Criminal Law Will Affect Entering Canada and the United States of America

Published: Oct 23, 2018

How Changes in Canadian Criminal Law Will Affect Entering Canada and the United States of America

  1. Entering the United States of America

    On October 17, 2018 adults in Canada may legally possess up to 30 grams of cannabis. The federal government of the United States of America, although several states allow medical or recreational use of marijuana, frowns on the use or possession of marijuana even if this is done outside of the United States. The United States can deny Canadians entry on a number of marijuana-related grounds. This includes admission of use without a conviction. Once ruled inadmissible, you will need a special waiver to enter the United States. In Ontario recreational marijuana is supposed to be only available through online purchases until April, 2019. Given how many times big internet service providers or websites have been hacked in the last few years, it is not inconceivable that if an Ontarian orders marijuana online, that the purchase might somehow come to the attention of the American authorities.

  2. Entering Canada

Someone who has committed a criminal offence can likewise be barred entry to Canada. After a period of time, the person can apply to Canada for permission to enter. We call this an application for "rehabilitation". Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada will then make a determination whether or not their entry will be permitted. If the person, though, has only been convicted of one relatively "minor" offence and they served their sentence or paid their fine more than ten years ago, they do not have to go through that application. They are deemed to be rehabilitated. Whether or not they can take advantage of this provision of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act depends on whether in Canada's Criminal Code, the offence they committed outside of Canada is considered to be serious. (If they committed the offence within Canada they have to apply for something different called a criminal record suspension).

A common conviction is one for drunk driving. As of today, someone who was convicted of only drunk driving (once) and whose sentence was finalized more than ten years ago, would be deemed "rehabilitated". They would be allowed to enter Canada. In December, 2018, though, that rule is going to change. The Canadian Criminal Code is changing and the maximum sentence that a person can be given for drunk driving will go up. Everyone who has been convicted of drunk driving outside of Canada must after the change apply for "rehabilitation" before they can enter Canada.

We believe at Eisenberg & Young LLP that it is still possible to successfully apply for citizenship, temporary worker and permanent resident status in Canada despite these changes. We strongly recommend, given the complexity of the present and ever-changing immigration system, that you do not apply without first obtaining professional help with the application.

Back to all news

Recent News

Immigration Law in Canada is constantly changing. Stay up to date with the most recent news pertaining to Citizenship and Immigration Canada laws and regulations.

Jul 4, 2019
Reduced Eligibility to Make Refugee Claims and the End of the Caregiver Program

  Back in March, 2019 we reported on changes to what used to be called the "Live-In Caregiver Program". On June 18, 2019 these programs essential...

Read More
May 30, 2019
Immigration and Citizenship Consultants - who’s in charge?

A reoccurring question in citizenship and immigration law is who is and who is not qualified or authorized to give advice or help with immigration and...

Read More
Apr 16, 2019
More Proposed Changes to Refugee Claims

To reduce the number of people who are making refugee claims, the federal government has proposed two changes. These changes are not yet law and may p...

Read More